Car Hire in Perth
Browse rental cars in Perth
Popular suburbs in Perth
Hassle-free car rental
Tap, book and drive
Rent a car using the Uber Carshare app. No rental counters, no access cards and no worries.
Hundreds of cars near you
Rent cars owned by locals - parked on your street, or near the airport.
Only pay for what you need
Rent by the hour or day, week or longer.
See how we compare
Find the perfect rental car
Frequently asked questions
International drivers are welcome to rent cars in Perth. You just need to hold a full unrestricted driver licence from your home country, with a formal English translation if it is in another language.
Our pricing works slightly differently from traditional car rental companies. When you borrow a car with Uber Carshare, you pay for both the time you have the car and the distance you drive, as well as your damage cover and booking fee.
Uber Carshare trips are covered through Mobility Mutual - a member-owned mutual risk protection fund that’s specifically designed for our car-sharing community. Each time you borrow a car with Uber Carshare you will be able to select the excess option which best suits your needs.
With Uber Carshare you can access hundreds of cars parked on streets and in car parks all over Perth. There’s probably one within a few minutes walk from your home!
No credit card? No problem. Once you’ve joined up for free, you can hire a car without a credit card. We accept any Visa or Mastercard debit or credit card - just make sure it has the necessary funds available! Note that all members will be charged a $150 deposit on their first booking, which will be returned after the trip is completed.
Hiring a car in Perth - useful information
Getting around Perth by car
The best way to get around central Perth is by public transport, with buses, ferries and trains running regularly. The centre of Perth is a Free Transit Zone, with travel on buses within this are free all day. Western Australia is a big state and there’s so much to see outside of Perth. The easiest way to see it all is by hiring a car and driving yourself.
Traffic in Perth isn’t as heavy as in other Australian cities but it does get heavy at peak hour. If you can, avoid driving around Perth between 7am and 9am and between 4pm and 6pm when the traffic is at its worst.
Top destinations to drive to in and around Perth
- Swan Valley. 40 minutes from Perth - A short drive from Perth will see you in the Swan Valley wine region. Make your way along the Swan Valley Food and Wine Trail to check out some of Western Australia’s best wineries, breweries and cafes.
- Serpentine Falls. 1 hour from Perth - Take the 16km Kitty’s Gorge walking trail through the Serpentine National Park, then cool off with a swim at Serpentine Falls and the nearby rock pools.
- Fremantle. 30 minutes from Perth - No trip to Perth is complete without a visit to the 19th Century port town of Fremantle. Browse the Fremantle Friday markets, see some of Australia’s oldest buildings, like the Fremantle Prison and Fremantle Round House, and learn about the towns maritime history at Fremantle Maritime Museum.
- Shoalwater Island Marine Park. 1 hour from Perth - Swim with dolphins, kayak with seals and take a ferry across to Penguin Island to visit some tiny fairy penguins. You can also snorkel in the clear waters and enjoy a picnic on the shady lawns (just make sure you take your rubbish away with you!)
- The Pinnacles. 2.5 hours from Perth - For something entirely different head north to the desert landscape of Nambung National Park. See sandy monoliths and wildflowers that stretch almost to the ocean.
- New Norica. 2 hours from Perth - Established in 1847 by Benedictine Monks, this is Australia’s only Monastic Town. Visit the old buildings, learn about monastic life at the museum, and join the monks at one of their seven daily prayer sessions in the chapel.
Best time to visit Perth
Perth’s weather is hot all year around. Summer gets very hot with average temperatures sitting around 31 degrees celsius (87.8 fahrenheit), and in winter it only drops to an average of 18 degrees celsius (64.4 fahrenheit). This makes it a great destination at any time of year, but you’ll need to be prepared for heat and stay sun smart with sunscreen and lots of water.
There are also plenty of sporting events, festivals and performances to enjoy, whatever time of year you visit Perth.
Perth calendar highlights
Fringe World Festival - Running throughout January and February each year, Fringe World features performances in everything from theatre to comedy, cabaret, circus and more at venues right across Perth.
Perth Festival - Running annually since 1953, Perth Festival is a curated arts festival featuring some of the best artists from Western Australia and the world.
South West Craft Beer Festival - Head to the Margaret River region for this celebration of local craft beer. You’ll have the opportunity to try over 120 craft beers from more than 20 local brewers, plus enjoy great food and live music.
Sculpture by the Sea, Cottesloe - The beautiful Cottesloe beach is transformed into an outdoor sculpture gallery with works by over 70 artists from around the world.
Donnybrook Apple Festival - A celebration of the delicious produce of the Southwest region, featuring entertainment, wine tasting, and the chance to buy and try some great local produce.
Margaret River Readers and Writers Festival - Held on the beautiful Voyager Estate Winery, the festival features established and emerging storytellers sharing ‘wild, weird and wonderful’ stories.
Margaret River Pro - Watch the world’s top surfers compete in the powerful surf near Margaret River as part of the World Surf League Championships Tour.
Revelation Perth International Film Festival - Take in one of over 120 international films at one of Perth’s favourite cinemas, galleries, cafes or bars.
Nannup Flower and Garden Festival - It’s well worth the 3 hour drive from Perth for this four-day event featuring stunning floral displays, markets and entertainment.
Perth Royal Show - Running for over 100 years, the Perth Royal Show features agricultural competitions, rides, showbags and animals.
Perth International Jazz Festival - Local and international jazz artists put on a program of incredible performances at venues across the city.
Western Australia Gourmet Escape - Enjoy the best of Western Australia at a range of culinary events held across Perth, Swan Valley and Margaret River.
Christmas Pageant - Get in the festive spirit with one of Perth’s favourite traditions. A parade of floats brings the magic of Christmas to the streets of central Perth.